Sunday, July 11, 2010

Desert Song

This is my prayer in the desert
And all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in the hunger in me
My God is a God who provides

It was almost midnight when my bus pulled up to my bus stop coming back from the city. As the bus screeched its wheels and drove away, a noise still echoed in the air. It was coming from the woman ahead of me who was sitting on her lawn talking on the phone. She quieted as I walked past her to cross the street. When I was halfway across the street, she began to wail and weep for some unknown reason. Her cry pierced my heart and I really wished there was something that I could do. What could I say? "Are you alright?" Obvs not. "Can I help you?" What could I do? Continuing to walk, I prayed that God would comfort her.

Even though she was a hot mess, I believe that's when God finds us the most beautiful. As we cry out in our desperation and brokenness, God looks upon us with compassion and mercy.

And this is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved
Of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flames
- Hillsong "Desert Song"

No comments:

Post a Comment